Library History/ Board Members/
Check-Out & Renewal Procedures/
Overdues & Fines
Lost Items & Donations/
- To apply for a library card, you must provide the following:
- ONE picture ID with your name and current address OR
TWO of the following, one of which must contain your name and address:
- Social Security Card
- Voter Registration Card
- Birth Certificate
- Military ID
- Piece of mail or a bill
- Children under 16: A parent or guardian of the child must provide
the proof of current address.
- Your first card is free. After that, you will be charged $1 (one dollar)
for each replacement card.
- Your card may be used at all MLN (MOUNTAIN LIBRARY NETWORK) libraries.
Check-Out & Renewal Procedures
- You must have your library card with you in
order to check out items. If you do not have your card with you, we will
gladly hold the items at the front desk for 24 hours to give you a chance to
find or retrieve your card.
- Borrowing privileges will be extended to all patrons -- unless
they have an outstanding debt at either library for damaged, lost or overdue
- Circulation Time Periods.
- Books circulate for 21 days.
- Books in high demand may circulate for shorter time
- Audios circulate for 21 days.
- Magazines circulate for 21 days.
- Current issues in protective covers do not circulate until
the new issue has been received.
- West Virginia & genealogy items circulate for 7 days.
- Many West Virginia & genealogy items are in constant
demand or are rare. These items do not circulate.
- Videos circulate for 7 days.
- DVD's circulate for 7 days.
- Reference items do not circulate unless special arrangements
are made with the librarian.
- The librarian reserves the right to limit the number of items
checked out on a particular topic if that topic is in demand for school or
- A book drop is located in front of the building for returning
materials when the library is closed.
- DO NOT return DVD's and Videos via the book drop
- Items will not be checked in until the next morning.
- When the library is open, patrons are asked to please bring
items in and place them in the return cart or on the counter.
- Renewal of library materials is permitted.
- Patrons may renew by phone or by bringing the items to the
- Items may only be renewed twice.
- Renewals will not be accepted on items that have reserves on
- Extended renewals may be granted at the discretion of the
- Overdue materials may be renewed.
- Fines will accrue from the date due to the date of
Overdues & Fines
- Once a patron has accumulated five (5) overdue items, his/her
borrowing privileges will be suspended until the overdue items are returned
and fines paid.
- Overdue items may be renewed under the renewal conditions
- The library offers amnesty week 2 times a year. During this
time, all overdue items may be returned with no fines accessed. Amnesty,
however, does not cover fines already accrued.
- Fines are accrued at the following rates:
- Books, audios and magazines.
- .10 (ten) cents per day for each item.
- Videos, DVD's, genealogy & West Virginia items.
- .25 (twenty-five) cents per day for each item.
- $1.00 (one) dollar per day for each item.
- Once a patron has accumulated more than two dollars ($2) in
fines, his/her borrowing privileges will be suspended until arrangements are
made to pay the fines.
- The library is willing to work with patrons who have large
fines. Arrangements can be made to pay the fine in installments. The
library, however, reserves the right to limit borrowing privileges until the
fine is paid.
- If a patron repeatedly accumulates overdue items and fines,
the library has the right to limit that patron's borrowing privileges.
Lost Items & Donations
- A fee of $1.00 (one) dollar will be charged for damaged or
- The cost for lost or seriously damaged items is the
replacement cost of the item.
- Donations will not be accepted for lost items, unless the
donation is a copy of the lost/damaged item. If so, the donation must be in
- Donating to the Library.
- Books and other material
- We welcome gifts from individuals, businesses, or
organizations with the understanding that items may not necessarily be
added to our shelves.
- Items not selected for the library will be offered to
nearby libraries or added to our book sale.
- The library is happy to accept monetary donations for
library materials, equipment, or furnishings.
- Checks may be made to the Jackson County Public Library.
- Donations for specific items require approval in advance.
Contact the librarian for more information at 372-5343 (Ripley)/273-5343
- Memorial donations for the collection are welcome.
- When addresses are provided, we will acknowledge the
donation with letters to family members and the donor.
- A bookplate will be placed in the front of the book with
the donor's name and the name of the person the book is being given in
honor/or memory of.
- BOOKS ON TAPE (AUDIO & CD)
- VIDEO CASSETTES
- Jackson Herald (Published on Tuesdays)
- Jackson Star News (Published on Thursdays)
- Jackson Star-Herald Weekender
- Charleston Daily Mail (past 3 months)
- The Parkersburg News (past 3 months)
- Roane County Times-Record (past 3 months)
- Wall Street Journal (past 3 months)
- New York Times Sunday Edition (past 3 months)
- CHILDREN'S PROGRAMMING
- INTERNET ACCESS
- INTERLIBRARY LOANS
- (304)372-7935 -- Ripley
- (304)273-5395 -- Ravenswood
- Outgoing: $2.00/first sheet, $.75 cents/each additional sheet
- Incoming: $.75 cents/each sheet
- It is not the library's responsibility to notify you when a
fax is received. It is your responsibility to check with the library when
you are expecting a fax.
- .20 cents per page
- back and front: .30 cents per page
- SATELLITE FOR DISTANCE LEARNING AND TELECONFERENCES
- DISPLAY CASE
- MEETING ROOM
- NOTARY PUBLIC
- FEDERAL & STATE PERSONAL INCOME TAX FORMS